Saturday, April 4, 2020

GL5 font has now been ported into GL6! (...sort of)

Heya, mako here!

Recently, Risae found a program called Tile Molester that lets us export the font table from the .fnt files into a regular .png image, which can then be edited using any image editing program and reimported back into the .fnt file. This allowed me to effectively replace the existing font in GL6 with a more GL5-esque font using paint.NET, a program I frequently use for my other HD font/texture replacement projects.

Here's what the original GL6 font looks like:



Here's what the GL5 font looks like:



GL5 pretty much uses the bolded font Book Antiqua. However, since GL6 only supports monospaced fonts, and Book Antiqua is a variable width font, I had to manually overwrite every single character with a Book Antiqua character, stretching and squishing each one to fit in the fixed width as needed. This didn't look very good for lower cased alphabets, as the lines would become too think. So I decided to use regular Book Antiqua as the base for lower case alphabets instead of the bolded font, but that cased the font to become too thin, making it look jaggy and overall wonky. To fix this, I manually turned up the saturation and contrast of said alphabets, which has given us the following result:





Note that GL6 still uses fixed width font, which means there will be gaps around narrow characters and wider characters will have to be horizontally squished. Unfortunately, this can only be solved by importing the variable width function and font directly from GL5 into GL6. Until then, I'm satisfied with the progress we've made so far in the past year.

I might have cried a little when I first saw the new font in GL6. Suffice to say, I'm very happy with how it turned out!


7 comments:

  1. Amezing news keep up with the great job thanks for updating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just stumbled upon your blog, very awesome stuff! I'm currently on a translation adventure of my own and I see you mentioned you exported the font image as a .png and then reinserted that, how did you do it? :o That would be helpful to know :p

    Many thanks, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for answering so late, i probably should somehow turn on to get an email notifiation when someone makes a comment.

    Are you using Tile Molester?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy to: Export to PNG
      Apply selection: Import from PNG

      https://i.imgur.com/RecSqco.png

      No idea why they named it so strangely

      Delete
    2. Ahh, I see! That's a very weird naming scheme indeed xD
      Many thanks! This will help me a lot!

      Delete
  4. It looks so much better than IV's font it's not even funny. Great work.

    ReplyDelete