Saturday, March 16, 2019

Menu Translations

Hey y'all, mako here. I've been assisting Risae with this project. I'm no programmer so my role is pretty much limited to text insertion. This is what I've been up to for the past two days.

Consumables and Key Items have been fully translated!



Item descriptions will probably take much more time though. The original Growlanser Realm translation didn't include any of the key items and equipment, so they had to be translated manually. Since neither of us is fluent in Japanese, I used the official Growlanser Heritage of War script, Google translate, Bing translate (it's actually surprisingly good) and my own intuition to fully localize the equipment and key item names. Don't worry, I made sure none of the names sounded machine translated and I did my best not to stray too far from the original. The same process will have to be repeated for the item descriptions and I am NOT looking forward to it lol.



Accessories haven't been translated yet, as they seem to be hiding in another file. Hopefully they're identical to HoW so I won't have to use three different sources and my own head to translate them.

Skill Plates have been fully translated!



Translating these was MUCH easier than the items/equipment. All skill names are taken directly from Heritage of War for the sake of consistency (and because they're literally identical).



The Ability Tree is still pending, though that wont take long at all. The same method as the skill plates will be used here.


That's pretty much all I have to show for now. What I'm focusing on next is the Ability Tree and then the Spells/Knacks menus and accessories (I may or may not do the item descriptions next, we'll see lol). Then I'll be set for starting a full playthrough of the game with the game script to capture any and all Japanese text I can find, so that we can then move on to inserting the dialogue. This is important as the dialogue text generally isn't placed in order in the script files. This means we have no idea what the next line of text says. Therefore we need the text from the game, with the context intact, in order to search it in the file, and then replace it with the English text according to story progression. 

That wraps up my update for today. Hopefully my next update will include item descriptions (we'll see lol). See y'all soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment